Friday, May 18, 2012

Losing Weight.

When we first met our doctor, he suggested I try to lose some weight. I'm pretty tall, and for most of my life was an average size.  A few years ago I was diagnosed with a rare form of tumor in my cochlear, which caused me to go deaf in one ear.  For some reason I sought food as comfort and it was showing.  The doctor was right, I needed to lose some weight.  I wasn't super morbidly obese or anything, but like most Americans, I was "plump."

So, I joined weight watchers.  I've lost 16.5 pounds but I had hit a plateau.  I continued to eat well, but the scale just wasn't moving.  Last night it hit me- if I want a baby as bad as I do, why would I not be exercising to speed up the weight loss?

I hate exercising.  Gyms aren't my thing.  I don't know why- perhaps it's because I see them as a meat market- where men check out the women who are wearing makeup and skin tight clothes.  I'm not one of those girls.  I sweat, a lot.  I also wear sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt, no lycra for this gal.  As a result, I've really avoided the gym.

I am a member of a really nice gym next to my work.  It's a great gym- with a rock wall, they give you clean towels, there's never a weight for machines, it has a pool, a very nice sauna for women, steam room, etc.  But I never go.  I have thought about cancelling more than a few times, but I never do it because I think one day I'll start.

But today I got up very early (well, I had to, to take my mom to the airport- she's going to eastern Europe).  Then right afterwards, I hit up the gym.  I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes.  Not much, considering I go on a nightly walk for longer.  But I did it at a faster pace.  Then I followed up with 30 minutes of strength training focusing on my legs.

I want to be pregnant, so I better be willing to do exactly what the doctor tells me- and if that's lose weight, then I'll do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment