Thursday, May 24, 2012

Like Water for Chocolate.

I'm in a book club, and it's a lot of fun.  It's a bunch of girls and we all get together and drink wine and discuss the book we've selected for the month.

One of the girls is pregnant, and the book club decided that the next meeting should be a surprise baby shower for her.  I suppose I knew this was coming, but I didn't really think about it.  Anyway, as they were planning the shower, someone mentioned that I am a talented baker and had made some friends' wedding cakes- so they asked me to make the cake for the shower. 

Images from Like Water for Chocolate came to mind- you know, the scene where she cries into the wedding cake she is preparing for her lover who is marrying someone else.  All the guests eat the cake and begin crying, feeling the same sense of loneliness and unhappiness. 

I imagined crying into my cake, and wondered if anyone would feel my sense of loss over IF.  This was just  a quick thought, quickly brushed away.

But then I really began to think- I love baking.  I love it more than I love the practice of law.  I could bake for hours and hours and it never gets old.  I like the structure, the creativity and the expression on people's faces when they eat something I've baked.  As an attorney, usually when people talk to me it's because something has happened and they would rather not know me.  I once had a very nice client, who told me, very honestly, at the end of her case, "you are a great person, and I hope I never have to see you again."  I get that- nobody likes lawyers.  But baking is different- it's accepted with gratitude.  It's an escape from reality for me.

What if I get stuck baking for events that somewhat hurt me- like baby showers? Will that taint the fun part of baking for me? God I hope not.   The mother to be loves cheesecake- and there's really no talent required to bake cheesecakes.  I bake cakes that are multiple layers, with different types of meringues and sauces.  I'm sure my cakes would be devoured- so I have to make a choice.  Bake the cake for me, or for her?  One thought is to bake my own cakes, and make cake pops with cheesecake.  That way, I can wrap them and they can be like favors.  Everyone loves cake pops now.

Oh well, now I'm rambling.   I hope you all have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment