Tuesday, April 24, 2012

TTC 1 year, 3 months, 23 days

Facebook

Ahh Facebook.  The place you go to keep in touch with your long lost high school friends, to see where everyone else ended up, and to keep tabs on your distant family.  It's a great place, I know what's going on in my cousin's life even though she is thousands of miles away and we haven't spoken over the phone in years (she is much older than I am, and we were raised in different parts of the country).

But you know what? Every time I log onto Facebook there's another damn baby announcement.  Every time I log on, there's a sense of slight dread.  Friends from high school all have kids.  Friends in my current life making announcements.  Pictures of ultrasounds posted everywhere.

I'm happy for these people, seriously I am.  But sometimes you just want to have a baby-announcement-free trip to Facebook.

I have a few friends who don't have kids/aren't pregnant. Although it's unspoken, I feel like we try to make our lives look extravagant and interesting on Facebook, perhaps to compete with the pregnancy announcements.  Friends without babies check-in at nice restaurants/hotels, they take trips and post pictures of the trips and themselves drinking, they update their status with cool, chick sayings.  But eventually they just sort of stop posting.  As my friends start having their second and third child, they simply don't have time for Facebook, and logging in loses it's luster just a little bit. So even the friends without kids start logging on.

Perhaps the solution is to go cold turkey with Facebook- just be done with it.  But I seriously enjoy reading about family and friends, especially the ones I am not close with.  In reality I should just get over the jealousy and take my own path in life- but I'm not there yet.  I'll get there.

For the record, I have 291 friends on Facebook. 133 are female friends.  61 have kids or are pregnant.  72 do not.  Doesn't sound too bad, right? Of the 72, 59 are either not married or are in a same-sex relationship.  So, out of the 146 straight, married female friends, 133 are pregnant or already have kids.  That's 91%, folks.


4 comments:

  1. Wow that's a high stat! Facebook sucks for us IF folks, fact. I have taken the route of, without wanting to delete people, hiding the updates from my news feed of each and every woman, or man, who announces a pregnancy or baby etc. The only one I have on there is my best friend whose son is my godson. Every other is hidden so I don't have that torment. As soon as they announce they are hidden from my view!! Works a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe the stats myself. I have already blocked people who only post about their children, but I should probably start to be more liberal in my blocking. I can always go visit their profile site if I want an update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Baby Dreamer, I have given you a blog award :) some check it out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete