Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Another Day, Another Drug.

So I went back to the doctors on Monday, after Aunt Flow decided to visit on Saturday.  We did an ultrasound and he wanted to prescribe me a different medicine to help with ovulation.  Apparently my uterine lining was thin while on Clomid, so he wanted to try something else.  He laid out my options, and I felt a little pressured to go with injections and IUI.  I don't want to do that- I want to take things a bit more gradually so that I know I've tried everything possible before moving on to in vitro.  So, I selected oral medications, with an HSG shot and timed sex.  My doctor seemed a bit disappointed- which annoyed me.  I think he makes more money with the more expensive treatments.

Anyhow, he prescribed me Letrozole, or Femara.  It's a breast cancer drug, and one of it's off-label uses is to increase ovulation, with no side effect to the uterine label.  I went home and researched the drug- apparently a Canadian study found that the use of Letrozole can significantly increase birth defects.  Ugh.  But a lot of doctors discount this study as being poorly done.  Also, I can't figure out if the birth defect increase happens if a pregnant woman takes Letrozole, or if a woman is on Letrozole before getting pregnant.  The half life of Letrozole is much less than Clomid, so theoretically it should be pretty much gone by the time we need to have timed sex.  There are just so many questions.

I didn't have any crazy side effects with clomid- although I've been unable to focus at work, and wonder if that's related.  I'm hoping I don't go crazy with this drug either.

Well, that's it for today.  Hope you all are doing well.

1 comment: